Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Rest of My Life

I making some changes for the rest of my life.

First, I’m erecting boundaries. Think of them as fences with limited access and signs posted: no trespassing. And I’m learning that fences not only keep things out they keep things in. And both keep me safe. I’m discovering that it’s okay to say no. I’m practicing not saying yes to every opportunity that presents itself. And in order to do what I want I’m granting permission to others and myself, but with certain restrictions. For example, I try not to check my voice mail and email after certain times, and I do so less frequently than I used to do.

Second, I’m evaluating my priorities, again. But with the understanding that I need to do so regularly not haphazardly . Maybe monthly and quarterly I’ll review where I’m headed and adjust my course as needed. Then at least once or twice a year I’ll assess my progress. But each day I want to remember what’s important so I don’t waste time doing what seems urgent.

Third, I’m learning to rest. I don’t mean take a day off here and there, now and then. I mean I’m asking God to teach me how to rest. I need him to help me keep a Sabbath. He created us to do that, and I realize that when I disobey, I suffer. My mind becomes taxed with tasks. My body grows weaker. I don’t sleep well. I don’t eat right. And I make more bad choices, more often. My spirit grows faint, and like the deer that’s been fleeing a predator, I run until I’m exhausted. I run for my life, all the while panting for peace, and being chased by chaos.

I know these new practices must become disciplines long before they will be habits. I realize that change won’t come quickly or easily. But I understand that if I fail to make different choices, nonetheless my life will change—and both others and I will suffer.

But, if I make these changes, I’ll enjoy the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Karen said...

These are great principles to guide our lives, Jeff. I would add something I've returned to in the last week: regular physical purging of clutter! Removing things from our house that we no longer use, love, or need lightens my spirit. When I see the open spaces created and can easily find the things left behind, I feel relief and freedom. And I have the added joy that those things still usable can brighten someone else's life when he finds it at the local Goodwill Store.