Sunday, January 24, 2010

What Are You Expecting?


Last year I focused on the topic of expectancy. This year my motif and theme are fruitfulness. And the two are linked.
We should expect to be fruitful because we are the branches and Jesus is the vine. In future posts I’ll look at the benefits of pruning. And I’ll try to address a few issues such as how we can inspect fruit and what happens when we do.

But for now, I want to stir your thinking about harvest.
I know, it’s not even spring. But when we plant we do so because we’re already thinking ahead to the harvest. And there’s an illustration that you might not typically associate with such planning.

“And kill the calf we have been fattening in the pen. We must celebrate with a feast.” (Luke 15:23, nlt)
When the younger son came home, the father ordered a particular calf be slaughtered for the party. But this was no spur of the moment decision. It wasn’t an emotional response. It was a deliberate action made on a specific choice that the father set in place long before his son’s arrival.

At some point after the younger son left, the father began to anticipate his return. And because he did, he made preparation for that day.

Anticipation leads to preparation. They are proof of hope. Which is evidence of faith. If you ever wondered about your faith, look at what you anticipate and prepare for.

Jesus told his disciples (and us), “I have to go. I have work to do. I must prepare for your arrival in heaven. I’m looking forward to the day we’ll be reunited. I’ll be back before you know it. And you know that all this is true because I never tell you anything but the truth.”

If that doesn’t excite us, I’m not sure what will. But when we realize that God anticipate our reunion and is preparing for us to be with him for all eternity that should stir hope in us. And we should anticipate and prepare for that day.

I don’t know what heaven will be like. But I know we’re going to celebrate and enjoy a feast, a banquet, a party unlike any we’ve ever been invited to attend.

No comments: