Sunday, September 16, 2012

Give Me Your Eyes


For as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to do something great for God. Even before I was saved, because I grew up in church, I wanted to be someone.

For a long time that meant that I would be anything that I thought someone wanted me to be. That’s one reason I did what was asked of me in ministry. I loved God, but I wanted the approval of people. I hoped God loved me, and I needed his acceptance.

Sometimes we do the right things for the wrong reasons. Other times we do nothing because we think we’re not qualified. Still other times we dream of doing great things and fail to see the opportunities around us.

Late one night I stumbled across this song.


I wouldn’t normally listen to this type of music, but I did. Then I listened again. And again. I watched the video, closer the second and third times. The more I listened the more I saw. The more I watched, the more I heard. I began to understand.

For years I’ve viewed discipleship as something that others did. I’ve considered it to be almost a program. I never thought of it as a way of life. I couldn’t imagine that I could do what Jesus did. But I can.

We can.

We don’t have to be pastors. We don’t have to go overseas. We just have to go next door.

All it takes is eyes to see, ears to listen, arms to embrace, hearts to love those who think no one cares, those who think no one loves them, who can’t imagine that God does.

All it takes is a moment, a smile, a touch.

But we can’t do what Jesus did unless we see what God sees and listen to the cries of those he hears. We can’t do what needs to be done unless we’re willing to take time out of our busy days and pay attention.

When we lift our heads and look he will help us see what we’ve been missing. The opportunities are all around us.

No comments: